With the new iQ motor, ebm-papst has broken the barrier restraining engineers from improving efficiencies in existing refrigeration equipment.
In developing the iQ motor - permanent magnet motor (PMM) we have taken giant strides towards reducing the energy costs, lowering waste heat and fulfilling the environmental protection developments. Integrated EC technology has significantly increased the overall standard of a motor technology; the new iQ - motors achieve greater levels of efficiency resulting in shorter and shorter payback periods both for the end user and the environment.
It pays to switch
Switching over to the new motor technology is worthwhile whenever an old shaded-pole motor should be replaced or energy-savings are desired. The switch to high efficiency refrigeration motor pays off for both the environment and the user, as this shows:
In a small supermarket, 200 fans are used that have 200 mm impellers and a 34° pitch.
+ The energy savings is 70%, which corresponds to 37.5 MWh per year.
= For the environment, this value means that 22 fewer tonnes of carbon dioxide.
= For the user there are profits as well: assume an electricity price of 0.18$ per kWh, then save 6750 $ a year.
An analysis of EC fans for refrigeration applications shows: The operating costs of a Q motor are the unknown and hidden costs – these massively outweigh the initial capital cost outlay. A standard AC motor has a capital cost of 6% of its whole life costs, the remaining 94% are spent on operating costs. With an AC Q motor, the capital costs are 11%, but the operating costs are reduced to only 34%. This means savings of 55%.
Moving to high efficiency motors gives life time savings. The longer the life of these savings the better it is to the bottom line.